The READERS’ GUIDE questions are below. I will send you a PDF of them if you e-mail me.
I would be delighted to meet with your book group by phone or by Skype. If you are in Sherman Oaks or not too far away, I could perhaps visit your club or organization in person. Thank you for choosing Eighth Wonder: The Thomas Bethune Story for your book club!
Discussion Questions for Readers’ Groups
- What were your expectations/thoughts of the book before you sat down to read? Were you enthralled or did you feel trepidation because of the subject matter?
- Describe the main characters—personality traits, motivations, inner qualities. Why did the Colonel do what he did? Why did Thomas behave the way he did?
- Were the Colonel’s actions justified?
- Described the dynamic between the Colonel and Thomas? The dynamic between Thomas and the Bethune children.
- How does the culture shape the character’s lives?
- Do you admire any of the characters and if so why, if not, why?
- Do any of the characters change by the end of the book? If so, how, if no, explain?
- What main ideas, themes are explored?
- How is morality portrayed in the story, particularly in regards to the Colonel’s actions?
- Which passages touched you?
- Which moment moved you the most?
- How did this novel impact you, your world view, did you learn anything new, were you entertained?